Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Authorsday - Alex Morgan


Today I welcome author Alex Morgan He has a novella called Safe Word in the anthology titled Men. Alex will be giving away a free short story.

Since it is my birthday I am also going to pick two names from those who make comments and give them a $10 Borders Gift Card.

So let's welcome Alex.



1. When did you know you wanted to be a writer? Very early. I wrote my first book "On My Vacation" in the fifth grade about the vacation we took earlier that summer (Mom threw it away).
2. How long have you been writing? I had a long dry spell after that first work in the 5th grade until graduate school several years ago. I started writing then as part of therapy that I was going through at the time, and it was therapeutic. I've been writing since then.
3. How did you pick the genre you write in? I have loved mysteries and comic books almost since I could read. My parents started me on the Hardy Boys mysteries in grade school, In junior high, I graduated to Agatha Christie and Emma Lathen and became hooked forever. My love for comic books has nurtured my fascination with the super-hero genre, so naturally, I decided to combine the two. As far as the gay erotica genre, a friend drew a picture for a Yahoo group that we were both members. He asked for the group to submit stories inspired by the pic. For some strange reason, everybody seemed to like the story I wrote. I found out that I liked writing it, too.
7. What was the name of your first novel you wrote? Did you try to publish it? My first novel is "Inside Passage to Murder", which I wrote after going on an Alaskan cruise several years ago. It is a mystery that takes place on a cruise ship that leaves Alaska and travels to Vancouver, British Columbia. I've submitted it to many different places but no takers yet. (No nibbles even). If anyone is interested in publishing it, please let me know!
9. How many rejections have you received? About 50.
16. Describe your short story. My short story "Dead Woman's Crossing" is a gay erotic work that includes elements of horror and the paranormal. Two young men decide to have a night of kinky fun in a place that is reportedly haunted. They partake in some BDSM role-playing but are kidnapped and terrorized by a large brute and held captive by him. Their kidnapper takes a liking to one but does not like the other, so it becomes imperative that they escape before one of them is killed.
I got the inspiration from an urban legend near the town in Oklahoma where I went to college. A bridge outside of town is apparently haunted by a woman who was murdered there over a century ago.
21. What authors do you admire? Agatha Christie above all. Her plots are so twisted and devious that no one can come close to her.
25. What other time period besides your own would you like to experience? I've always been fascinated by the medieval period up through the reign of Elizabeth I. I would love to observe the pirates and privateers of those days.
28. What do you do when you are not writing? I'm reading. I get inspiration from other authors but also I like to see their style. I'm always open to new ideas.
29. Who is your greatest cheerleader? My partner of almost 11 years. He was the one that told me to 'write the damn thing, already!' when I said that I could write a mystery novel. He is still my biggest support. :)


“Safe Word” opens with Corey standing in a leather bar, surveying the patrons for a sign of a murderer. He recalls that morning when called from Boston to report to Provincetown, where the body of a young man has been found, naked and strangled. There are indications that the victim was tortured before his death, and the forensic team suspects a brutal mind is behind the killing.

1 comment:

Kiersten said...

Very interesting. I always like to hear authors' paths to writing.

And Happy Birthday to you, Chris! Again!

Kiersten