Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Authorsday - Karen Daniels

A warm blog welcometo debut author Karen Daniels.

Blog Interview Q & A
Three Days in Purgatory
By: K. Daniels

1) When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I have been an avid reader since I was a kid. Along the way, teachers and friends have complemented my writing, but I never dreamed that I could write a novel. Call it early mid-life crisis, but at thirty I was a stay-at-home mom with three kids; four and under. In desperate need of grown-up connections, I joined a Thursday night writing group. Part plot-strategy, part group-therapy, I found my way one chapter at a time.

2) How did you pick the genre you write in?

To borrow a phrase from Stephen King, the genre I write in is “Psychological Realism” and this is the type of book I search for at the book store or library. With an element that makes anything possible, my creativity has a chance to really take form.

3) How did you come up with the idea for Three Days in Purgatory?

For me, it takes two ideas to culminate into a story. The very first idea came to me when I had the epiphany: I would not be who I am today if my parent’s had not been who they were yesterday. The second idea: Do we ever know if our mistakes have purpose?

4) If you have a day job, what is it?

I have the best day job ever. I am a part-time private investigator. While the kids are in school I work at the firm conducting background searches, interviewing subjects (or, actors, as we like to call them) and writing reports. One of the reasons they hired me was for my writing skills!

5) How do you find time to write?

This is tricky because there are times when your schedule is difficult and the last thing you want to do is beat yourself up and create block. I try to do something every day whether it’s research, editing, outlining or writing. Even if it’s only twenty minutes per day. Also, I make sure that I edit somewhere other than my desk. It’s important to get away from the computer from time to time.

6) What authors do you admire?

There are so many, but I would say that I’m most heavily influenced by Alice Hoffman, Stephen King, Mitch Albom, and Jodi Picoult.

7) What other time periods would you like to experience?

I love the musical Grease. And I’m sure part of me is being naive, but I would love to live in the 50’s and experience a time that seemed a little simpler than the world we live in today.

8) Who is your favorite character in the book?

Hands down the mom, Camille. With all of her flaws and mistakes, she remains a likable character. This balance was challenging, but after many re-writes, I think she is the person the reader will most reflect on after they’ve finished the book.

9) How many rejections did you receive?

63

10) What are you working on now?

I really like pushing the limits on the perception of reality, while keeping things part of everyday life. I’ve been writing about the idea of “callings.” Does everyone have one? Do some of us have more than one? What if some of us never find ours? What then?

Book Blurb: Three Days in Purgatory

Do we ever know if the mistakes we make have purpose? Camille is a mother filled with regret over her past choices and will once again disappoint her daughter when she backs out of a trip for her son’s memorial. But Elizabeth should have expected it. Just once—she wishes her mother would put her kids first. This statement triggers a three-day whirlwind of change in Camille’s world, and each life dangles the hope that her son is alive. Will Camille learn her purpose and have the chance to fix her mistakes? The answer might surprise you.


Author Bio:

This is Karen Daniels’ debut novel. She lives in Sugar Land, Texas, with her husband and three teenage children. To keep her sanity, she is working on her second novel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Visit Karen at her website
threedaysinpurgatory.com