Thursday, December 23, 2010

Authorsday: Larion Wills

1. What was the name of the first novel you wrote? Did you try to publish it?

I don’t think I ever named it, and no, I never tried to publish it. I did re-read it about a year ago, and it was awful. It won’t go to any publisher until it gets a major re-write, and I do mean major.

2. What do you know now that you are published that you didn’t know pre-published that you wish you had known?

Hundreds of things. I didn’t know about loops, I didn’t know about blogs, I didn’t even know about ebooks. That’s how unprepared I was when I started 5 years ago.

3. Why did you pick the publisher that ultimately published your first book?

Actually my first publisher was found more by accident than plan. I was searching the net for agents to submit to, stuck into that ‘if you don’t have an agent, publishers don’t want to read you’ that I’d read, thinking that would be easier. I didn’t know about independent publishers, either, or that they were willing to take an unpublished author. An ad in a side bar caught my attention. I thought why not, clicked on it, read their submission preference page and thought, “I’ve got one that just fits that.” That was Swimming Kangaroo Books, sadly, no longer accepting submissions. Not only did I find a publisher willing to read work from an unpublished author, I found a friend and teacher in Dindy Robinson, the owner. We did 11 books together, an experience I’ll always be grateful for.

4. How did you pick the genres you write in?

I don’t pick them; they pick me without any kind of rhyme or reason. I might finish a science fiction and go straight to another western or contemporary. It’s just whatever strikes me at the time enough to grow into another story.

5. What do you consider your strengths in terms of your writing?

Characterization, I think. I live with those people. I know them better sometimes than even themselves. I know their history from the time they were born, what makes them act and react the way they do, what they look for in life. Of course, not all of that gets into the pages, but I have it all in my head to make them come alive with words.

6. What do you consider your weakness and what strategies do you use to overcome it?

Composition, where to put those silly little commas, things like that, along with what’s new in accepted style, what’s old, what does this particular publisher prefer. I edit, and edit, and use word grammar check, and edit, and listen to my editors and edit some more.

7. What other time period besides your own would you like to experience?

From the civil war to the turn of the century. I’m sure I’d get tired of it rather quickly, being spoiled by all our modern conveniences, but that time period fascinates me.

8. If you could ask your readers one question, what would it be?

Did you like it? If they said no, then of course, I’d have to ask why?

9. What’s your favorite quote?

You have nothing to fear, but fear itself.

10. Tell us about your current release and if you have more coming up for us to watch for.

I’ll start with the last part of that one. At this time I have four releases coming in 2011 and 2012, through Museitup Publishing, two westerns and two contemporaries. You can keep up with what they are and when they’ll be out on my website, http://www.larriane.com. My latest release is through XOXO Publishing, The Eternal Search, a science fiction romance. It begins sometime in our future. Here’s a blurb to tickle your interest and buy link if I have:



In sending him from the future to a burnt out wasteland, they meant to kill him, in a cruel and sadistic way. Their calculations were off. Garth landed in a mountain forest only a few feet from Judith, a woman who only existed and wished for death even before the war had killed billions. She had one emotion left, curiosity. Wanting to know who he was, where he came from, and how, she took him home. With Garth she learned to live again. When they came and took him back, they learned that revenge for an eternal knew no time limits.

http://www.xoxopublishing.com

Author Bio: Larriane Wills also writes as Larion Wills in multi-genres from science fiction to historical, sweet romances to hot, paranormal and not. Though born in Oklahoma she feels native to the state she was raised in and has settled in the high desert mountains of Arizona where she continues to present us with a wide variety of stories in a collection of strong characters and unique plots. She invites you to visit her at her website, http://www.larriane.com to see what she has to offer or email her at larriane@larriane.com even if it’s only to say hi. She also welcomes you to visit her facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/people/Larriane-Wills/1535007230 and her blog: http://larionmusing.blogspot.com/

No comments: