Tuesday, November 22, 2011

ExcerpTuesday: Suzanne Rock

"You have no idea what Bathin’s power is like.” There, she thought she could move a finger. Just a few more minutes…


“You have no idea what my power is like.” He ran his thumb over her cheek. “I appreciate your worry, but believe me, I have a few tricks up my sleeve. Bathin won’t know what hit him.” He leaned in close, so close that they were almost touching.



A tendril of heat rippled through her system and Arianne’s gaze slid down to his mouth. “You’ll all die.”



“Why do you care?”



She swallowed and forced her gaze back up to meet his. Why did she care? Maybe it was because she had been watching this man for almost a year and felt this strange connection with him. No, it was more than that. She felt responsible for him. The queen believed that, despite his recklessness, Darien was special and needed protecting. It was part of the reason why she sent Cai undercover, for protection as much as information gathering.



“How do you know so much about me, hmm?” He lowered his gaze, letting it settle on her lips as first one, then the other twin slipped through the portal. “Were you spying on me?” He twisted his lips into a half-smile as he dragged his gaze back up to meet hers. “Because, darlin’, all you needed to do was to come up and talk to me, and I would have given you exactly what you wanted.”



The implication was clear. Darien wasn’t talking about the deamhan stone, but of something more sexual and intimate.



Her breath caught, and she felt a fluttering low in her abdomen. “What I want is for you to go back to Boston where you belong.” She caught a glimpse of Cai’s disapproving stare as he passed her. He shook his head, a silent reprimand and reminding her to not stir up trouble. She watched as Urian and Cai each took a deep breath, then stepped through the portal in turn. Why did Cai want her to forsake her orders and let them go through? What was going on?



“Well, we’re not going back to Boston,” Darien said. “Not until I get what I came for. So you’re just going to have to settle for this.”


Before she could speak, before she could even think, he captured her lips in a hot, searing kiss.

No comments: